The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, July 21, 2006

Almost AWOL

by Melissa Bell

This is not a particularly writerly blog entry today, friends, so please forgive me. Oh, who am I kidding? It's barely a blog entry at all, never mind something "writerly".

I've been on vacation this week – no, I didn't go anywhere; just hung out at chez Mel (and I'm still hanging out here) -making some headway on the screenplay, watching a lot of CNN and home improvement shows, and wandering around WalMart spending money on things I just can't pass up. As a bonus, the extreme temperatures have made doing nothing but inhabiting furniture for hours at a time a guilt-free activity.

Being off work this week has also afforded me the luxury of staying up all hours of the night listening to "Coast to Coast", a nightly talk-radio show that centres around all things, well, flaky. I adore it. Who wouldn't? The world of the paranormal is a fascinating planet – I have absolutely no desire to live there, but it's certainly an interesting place to visit.

So if you'll excuse me, seeing as I'm on vacation and all, I'm going to go find a comfortable place, crack open a book, pour myself something tall and cold, and listen to the radio...

But if you have ever seen a ghost, do tell! Please, please?

Also: Great book - Blindness by Jose Saramago
Great snack: blue cheese with cranberries spread on lightly buttered oatcakes
Best new silly shows I've discovered this week: "How Clean is Your House?" and "You Are What You Eat". (Both British - who knew?)

(See you back here in two weeks.)


6 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

We love the same things! I knew we both had a thing for home improvement shows and not just because of the hunky model-slash-carpenters. Do you actually improve your home, or just watch? I just watch. My home is a sty. I just moved though and so far- five days- my new home is perfect. We'll see what happens. Do you make your own drapes? Your own art? Reupholster your old chairs? Saw couches into chaises? Have you ever- and forgive me if this is too personal- potato stamped?

Fri Jul 21, 08:04:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Anne C. said...

What channel is the "How Clean" on? I really need to see it.

Fri Jul 21, 08:16:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger MelBell said...

Andrew, yes, I do try to do as much as I can around my own place. I repaired the screen on my back door a couple of weeks ago. I put up my own tiled backsplash in the kitchen. I paint. I have reupholstered simple seat cushions on things like dining room chairs, but I would never try to redo a sofa. I've got a few of my own drawings hanging about the place, and I've been known to tackle a sewing project or two (I made placemats for a friend last year - not a big deal, really, but he liked them). I have never potato-stamped, but I can understand its "a-peel" (hee!)

Anne, it's on the Lifetime Network - not sure of the exact channel; it's just been one of those things I've caught while surfing and I instantly fell in like with it. Kim & Aggie are a scream.

Fri Jul 21, 10:20:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Unknown said...

enjoy Melbel, this sounds perfect, enjoy enjoy, pass me a cracker will ya..xoxoox

Fri Jul 21, 04:20:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

See if you can find this silly British show: Posh Nosh. In Victoria, it comes on after Newsroom on Sunday nights on a commercial-free channel. Hilarious.

Enjoy your days off, Melbell. It's blooming hot here, too.

Fri Jul 21, 10:45:00 pm GMT-4  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, Melbell, blog away anytime, this was a fun read. Diane

Mon Jul 24, 03:22:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home