The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, June 16, 2006

Synchronicity, the bad kind


By Anne Chudobiak

1. The day my e-mails bounce back from the archives of a small Caribbean nation, I pick up my New Yorker and turn to the fiction: pirates (Karen Russell, “Accident Brief,” June 19). And I thought I was being so clever.

My story would rise to the top of the Canadian slushpile where readers would say, “Pirates, now that’s a literary convention you don’t hear about anymore.”

2. While my imaginary-sister/Communist-milestone story, “My Irish Twin,” sits patiently at Maisonneuve, logged, but unread, the summer issue arrives at my doorstep. Page 59, “My Hungarian Sister” by Patricia Robertson. An English girl has an elaborate fantasy in which she and her family stand to gain from the Hungarian revolution.

“Zeitgeist,” says my husband.

Apparently, I’m very tuned in, more so than I’d like.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

That's the sickest feeling when a story with a similar premise shows up before yours. I've had that experience and I hate it, hate it, hate it.

Sat Jun 17, 07:18:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

Oh, yes, I hate that feeling, too.

And, hey, great artwork, there ;)

Mon Jun 19, 12:54:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh god....f'ers!! it's like inventing the thigh master and then that suzanne somers comes out with it!!!

Keep us posted, I'm sure your's is much more original and wonderful...xoxo

Mon Jun 19, 02:26:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home