The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Edges


by Patricia Parkinson


Edges


I spoke to a dear friend today about writing.

I love talking about writing, talking about the heart of writing, not the structure. I believe that you can know nothing about structure and still be an excellent writer. This is what I keep telling myself anyway, that, and if you don't have some “thing" that sets you apart or you don’t possess a magical, freaky insight into the human condition that makes the reader go, "Ohhh," when they read it, all the structure in the world won’t get you anywhere.

Anyway, we were discussing conflict. Barf. Isn't there enough grief in the world? I hate conflict and have avoided it as much as humanly possibly my entire life. It comes as no surprise that the conflict in my stories is somewhat hidden, invisible even. I refer to my conflict as, subtle.

"But you have to have conflict," my friend said. "And there has to be change. There has to be."

"Yeah," I said, and agreed even though spiritually I disagreed but didn't want to cause any conflict. See, it's ingrained in me.

We talked and mostly I listened. My friend is a brilliant writer. We lamented the shortage of happy ending stories and agreed that movies should come with an “Unhappy Ending” warning label so we can be prepared, once again. to have our hearts broken. Why do we have to have our hearts broken?

"Can't we just be happy?" I asked my friend.

Apparently not. If the story isn't about some form of suffering and turmoil and heartache told metaphorically with a symbolic theme, it doesn't stand a chance.

And then, well, let's not forget angst and loss. Loss makes for great angst. Odd angst, ie: the loss of Starbucks egg nog latte - if done right, is vulnerable in a quirky and unique way. True weirdness works best.

"And edge," my friend said. "let's not forget, everyone wants edge."

Edge. Edge? What is this elusive edge they seek? It makes me wonder, "Do I have to be a heroin addict to be a good writer?" How many more veins must I open? Have I opened any? I have. I'm sure of it. I think.

When you open a vein does it mean you have to slit it, like, boom! Heeloo? Can't you read that I committed suicide writing that last paragraph? Can't you feel the emotional wreckage it's left me in? Is this not enough...edge? Maybe not.

Maybe I'm not slitting a vein. Maybe I'm caressing my veins, getting to know them, getting closer to an edge that isn't a cliff. Maybe my edge leads to something wonderous and not to something to fear. I like to think that.

"Unless," my friend said. "It's beautifully written. That disqualifies everything else. Great writing is great writing, regardless.”

"You're a great writer,” I told my friend.

"Well, you're a good writer too."

"A good writer? I said you were a great writer."

"Good. Great. It's the same thing."

I nearly nodded but said instead, "No, it's not the same thing," and had conflict.

"Okay. Okay," my friend said, chuckling. "You're a great writer. You are. Okay?" Which facilitated change.

And we were happy.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point, Patricia. A writer can learn to hone his craft, but s/he still has to have something interesting to say. And you've reminded me that a writer has to be in know as to what specific editors are looking to publish in their zines; edgy, contemporary, experimental, traditonal, cutting-edge. It's a task just figuring out what it all means!

Sat May 13, 11:32:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

I love this! Yes, we must suffer as we write to bring the reader to some high or low point. It's exhausting. But you don't need to worry. You write your heart out, Patricia. You've found the edge.

Sat May 13, 03:31:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know, not much market for happiness, maybe we can change this?? I don't think so though, but hey, one story at a time, thanks for reading everyone xoxo

Mon May 15, 01:10:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Patricia, you are absolutely the funniest great writer I've read in a long time. I giggle at all your posts. I'm smiling right now. See?

Tue May 16, 10:26:00 am GMT-4  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Wed May 24, 07:24:00 pm GMT-4  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

Wed May 24, 07:26:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home