The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Sunday, August 20, 2006

If it wasn't screwed on...



by Craig Terlson

Okay, I am tired, brain emptied of most coherent thoughts, those last bits of logic, reason, and sparkling wit are being drowned by a large, industrial strength Gin and Tonic.
So, is it wise to really attempt a post?
Sure, why the hell not.

I have been running myself ragged trying to get ready for my holiday. I am sure a lot of you can relate – unless you are one of those who truly can leave town at the drop of a hat, or even with out the shedding of headgear. If you are, I tip my firmly placed chapeau in your direction. But if you are like me, you can relate to the rushing around, paying bills, trips to the grocery store, drug store, liquor store (running out of Gin), pet food store; calls to those taking care of your pets, your house, your lawn; tackling the himalayan size load of laundry that hides your washing machine (contemplating packing only your swimsuit and a case of gin); finding your maps, your camera, your batteries (another trip to the drug store – better drop into the liquor store again, just in case); and on and on and oh God, on.

At this point I am too tired to continue to compile this listof what I did today. But, I think I am finally ready. Though, we have learned from friends of ours that we should circle the block three times before actually leaving - it's goofy, but it works. You remember all sorts of things… like your kids. Damn, how'd we forget them dear?

Anyway, I am finally hitting the road. If you're still hitting the road this summer, may you pack all you need and forget about what you forgot. I'd say smooth travels to everyone, but if you're gathering tales for the CWC contest, then the best stories usually happen when something goes loopy.

So, I'll just say, may you always find ice and good limes for your G and T's.
Later.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Hey Craig,

I haven't been able to drink gin since too many Tom Collinses (is that the plural?) in Staten Island, NY, when I was 18. But have something else for me, okay, and have a great vacation.

Sun Aug 20, 04:07:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Anne C. said...

If that's what the sky looks like in Winnipeg, I say stay home.

Sun Aug 20, 09:43:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

I'm trying your round the block trick next time - this trip it was the charger cord for the video camera. Enjoyed the humor in this post!

Wed Aug 23, 01:00:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home